Habitat Seed Mats are custom-produced, easy-to-plant, biodegradable mats that contain embedded seeds, ready for planting. No more struggling to sow tiny seeds!
- Seed mats eliminate the need to manipulate individual seeds during planting.
- Habitat Seed Mats are sized specifically for planting in Habitat Wicking Trays.
Every Habitat Seed Mat contains non-GMO, premium Johnny's Selected Seeds plus our unique, fast-flowering Brassica embedded in 5 rows. The center row of fast-flowering Brassica is fun to grow and tasty to eat as a flowering microgreen.
Each Herb Mix Seed Mat contains:
- Summer Thyme
- Greek Oregano
- Fast-flowering Brassica
- Curled Parsley
- Elidia Basil
Transplant to Containers or Garden
1-2 weeks after seedlings emerge, thin to 1” spacing in rows. Enjoy thinned seedlings in a salad or sandwich!
When thinned seedlings begin to crowd each other (6-7 weeks) transplant into individual 3-6” diameter containers.
- For mature herb plants indoors, snip back new growth for cooking as needed or every two weeks and add nutrients (we recommend an organic, liquid fertilizer that promotes growth).
How to Plant a Seed Mat
- Prepare a planting tray with moist potting mix (a soil-less seed starter or potting mix work best).
- Lay the seed mat on top of the prepared potting mix.
- Cover seed mat lightly with additional potting mix.Note: Cover Herb Seed Mat only lightly with soil as some herb seeds germinate best with a bit of light.
- Sprinkle water evenly until seed mat is thoroughly moistened.
- Use a wicking growing system, or sprinkle lightly each day to keep the soil moist as seeds germinate.
- Keep germinating seeds and young seedlings under 24-hour light to grow strong stems. After seedlings have 4 leaves, begin to turn lights off for approximately 6-8 hours a day.
- Enjoy watching your seedlings grow!